Study Abroad Programs

How to Apply

Study Abroad at UCLA
Get Started

Study Abroad at UCLA: How to Apply

International students can apply to the Study Abroad at UCLA program on their own or through a specific study abroad consulting office. See the tab on "Overseas Representatives" to find a representative near you.

Apply Now

To enroll in Study Abroad at UCLA, you must be at least 18 years of age before the start of the program, enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree program at your home university, and submit the following:

Proposed Study Plan

  • A list of courses you want to take at UCLA or UCLA Extension.
  • Download and complete your Proposed Study Plan (PDF).


  • A photocopy of your current, valid passport clearly showing your name, date of birth, and photograph. (And, if applicable, a clear copy of your spouse’s / dependents’ passport page(s) if they will accompany you with an F-2 visa).

University Transcript

  • Submit an English translation of your university transcript with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4-point scale or the equivalent. 
  • Please use the GPA Calculator to convert your international GPA to a 4.0 scale.
  • You will be required to upload a screenshot of your GPA verification in your application.

English Language Proficiency

  • Submit an official Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL-iBT) score of 91 or higher, an Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7 or higher or an International Test of English Proficiency (iTEP) score of 5 or higher.
  • Official TOEFL iBT results can be sent by TOEFL to UCLA Extension (School Code 4910-0000); For Academic IELTS results, send to UCLA Extension directly.
  • Scores must have been achieved within 24 months of your application date.

Financial Certification*

  • Proof that you or your sponsor are financially capable of meeting the minimum funds required for this program.
  • Submit a Verification of Bank Funds dated within 60 days from the date your application is received (must be in English) - or - submit a Sponsor Statement (PDF) (must be in English if bank funds are not your own).

Immunization Form*


*Financial certification documents and an immunization form are not required for students applying to the Study Abroad Online program. 
Note: Payment of the program fee is due 6 weeks before the start of the program.


Please Note: Admission to Study Abroad at UCLA, UCLA Extension, and/or individual UCLA courses does not constitute admission to UCLA or any UCLA degree program.

Contact Study Abroad

Speak to a program representative. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm.

Learn more about our international programs.


vector icon of building

Corporate Education

Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

Innovation Programs

Student Scholarships

Coding Boot Camp

Lifelong Learning